Tuesday, March 19, 2013

To love your neighbor


I am not very good at loving my neighbor and I am much worse at loving my neighbor as myself. I try to follow this very simple command but I am selfish and prideful. They might be my two biggest flaws. I would not say I am egotistical but being kind and generous does not come naturally to me. It is something I consciously do, and as I become more conscious it becomes more natural. I do it because I believe in order to change the world we have to change ourselves as well. If I want a peaceful and just world I have to be kind and generous.

I have met a lady here in Colombia who is naturally kind and generous. Actually, most Colombians I have encountered are naturally kind and generous. I will call this woman Grace. Grace told me that when she lived in Cartegena she had a wonderful experience with God.  It was the end of the month and her husband, who is a pastor, is paid once a month. They had no money left and no food. All they had was a little bit of oatmeal, two eggs, and some onion. She made two tortillas from the oatmeal and scrambled the two eggs with onion. She made a plate for her husband and set hers to the side because she likes to wait to eat until after she is done cooking when she can relax. Her husband ate his plate and ran to the church to arrive early for the service. Before she had a chance to sit down to eat a man from the church came to the house and asked if she could give him some food because he did not have any and was very hungry. She thought for a minute and said a prayer to God and decided to give this man her food, not knowing if she would be able to get more. That afternoon, after church, a member showed up at her door with a small basket of food. It had a little bit of meat, rice, and some vegetables. Later that same day another person stopped by with two tamales. She said she learned in that moment that when you sacrifice a little God gives you much more in return.

Gracie's house is always hectic. People are always coming and going and many women will come and help her cook and clean up. I asked if this was because we were here and she said a lot of women whose husbands are having trouble finding work will come and help her and she sends them home with food for their families. Grace also said different accompaniers will leave clothing, which she gifts to different people. This church truly is a family and they truly love at least their church neighbors as themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment