Friday, March 8, 2013

It's okay, you can roll your eyes


In order to protect the people I meet I will not name names or places. All names of people and places will be fictional.
 So I am going to be a little corny and cliche in this post. Today we went and visited several families from the Presbyterian church here in Frankford. I had such a nice day, drinking all types of yummy fruit drinks and sitting around chatting. Yesterday we visited families from the children's project and I felt slightly uncomfortable and intrusive. Everyone was very kind and welcoming but I still felt a slight hesitancy from the families. Today we were warmly welcomed and I could tell everyone was genuinely happy to have us there and s large part of that is because we arrived as brothers and sisters in Christ. I told you this would be corny and cliche. But I am giving into and embracing this feeling because usually I scorn these types of emotions. If you are rolling your eyes at me I understand. Go ahead, I would. I felt so comfortable and natural in their homes. We started with the usual, how do you like Colombia, and, how are you dealing with the heat? Then we talked about a variety of things, from the weather in the US, to holidays, health care, children, and displacement. Some of our conversations were more engaging than others but all were honest.
 I had many thoughtful conversations in Guatemala and the difference in how open and honest people are seems to come from a religious place. Both in Guatemala and here, when people feel like you share a God, share a religion, most other boundaries come down. We are just brothers and sisters. Honestly, while this is not the first time I have had this feeling, it is the first time I have recognized and embraced this common thread. People that gush about their faith make me uncomfortable. This is for many reasons but one is that I feel like they are saying what they think they should be saying, or not being critical of situations.  But today I am that person who feels like I encountered God today simply by being with other Christians and sharing a cold beverage. I did not provide anyone with an insightful story nor was I particularly amusing. But I was simply there and my visit did brighten several people's days, as they brightened mine.  When I am in Latin America I seem to be able to let a lot of my prejudices about myself go and hope I can bring that openness back with me to the US. 

1 comment:

  1. Whitney- Thanks for your honesty and vulnerability in sharing your experiences! I think you're right that we can be critical of situations and structures but also feel moved by the Spirit in a way that is beyond words and that connects us to our brothers and sisters. Reminds me of Paul's model of community in Gal 3:28--unity in difference. That doesn't mean to overlook our unique-ness and our differences, but to embrace them and recognize that our differences should not divide us but unite us in love to do the hard work of being critical of unjust structures and acting against them.

    ReplyDelete