Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Buffets are dangerous in Guatemala

Right now many students are graduating from what we would call high school. The guatemalan school year ends on the last day of October, but the graduates continue a bit longer because they have to finish practicals. Students also graduate essentially with a major, either in computers, secretary work, teacher, mechanic, and others. Right now we have 4 girls studying different things in our office helping out for their practicals. They are pretty hilarous, I forgot what it was like to be 18 years old and almost ready to graduate high school. Apparently I am fascinating, which is great for me because they force me to talk.

Today Elvia and I went to a lunch for some dude who graduated. I did not understand her connection to thim, but eh, details are not important here. We went to a chinese food resturant and they had a buffet set up for everyone invited. Buffets are dangerous in Guatemala. People were almost pushing others out of the way to get to the line, and then they would pile multiple plates full of food to pass to their other family members. If families consisted of 4 people, this would not be a problem, but they are 10 people so the line moved way slower than it would have if everyone just went up themselves. Then the plates were piled soooo high. Imagine a comical movie where fat people are at a buffet, like the Nutty Professors. That is what the plates looked like, I´m not kidding. I was made fun of for having a full plate but not overflowing. And they ate everything on their plate. I don´t know how they did it. Except they all did admit they felt a little sick afterwords. And now Elvia and I have another dinner we have to go to later tonight for her school mate that is also graduating. Generally when we eat a big lunch we don´t eat dinner, so I will probably be able to eat a little, but I am interested to see how much Elivia will eat at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment