Monday, June 15, 2009

Where to begin?

As many of you probably know, on August 31, 2009, I will be leaving for Guatemala for a year. I will be working as a Young Adult Volunteer through the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). While I am in Guatemala I will be focusing on a life of simple living and becoming part of a Guatemalan community. I will be living with a Guatemalan host family and will become an active member of the community. I could be placed in an urban or rural setting, but either way my focus will be on accompaniment while studying and addressing social and economic injustices.

Currently, I have been working on getting my paperwork completed, physical and vaccines updated, working on my Spanish, and fundraising. In order to spend a year volunteering in Guatemala, I have to raise the funds to support me for the year. I find fundraising the most difficult and frustrating part of any mission preparation. Despite my personal phobias about fundraising, it really is an important part of the process. Fundraising forces us to trust that God will provide, and it provides the volunteer with a support group while they are away. I am finding that asking people for their prayers and support is more important than their financial support. Fundraising is also a humbling experience. It forces us to depend and trust others, which will be a big part of my year. So, I humbly begin my journey seeking emotional, spiritual and financial support.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote out this long witty message that was very corey-esk but i didn't sign in and couldn't post and it erased it and then i realized they had an open id option. well at least i know for the next time!!

    anyways basically i said i'm proud, your tough, and i support you. except it sounded a lot better before lol.

    ReplyDelete