Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finding Strength

Today I spoke at all three services at my church. At the end of every month my church takes up a second mission offering that went to me this Sunday. In order for me to explain why I feel the need to spend a year in Guatemala, I told the congregation the story of Alta Gracia, a woman I met last March while I spent my Spring Break in Guatemala. Speaking in front of hundreds of people made the fact that I am leaving in less than two months more real. I have been actively fundraising, filling out paperwork, and practicing Spanish for the past two months, but it has still been a distant adventure in the future. I am excited to leave, but I am also nervous and scared. After the second service, a lady came up and I knew instantly that she was Guatemalan. Her name is Isabella and she thanked me for going to her country. She told me that she grew up in the mountains hunting for berries, never having enough to eat. When she got really hungry, she said God would put her to sleep to make the hunger go away. When she was 12 she ran away from home and came to the United States. While I am still nervous, apprehensive, and scared to spend a year in a foreign country (where I don't fully speak the language), I am more excited. I know I will meet so many wonderful people who will touch my life, and hopefully I will touch theirs.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to hear the story of Alta Gracia someday :)
    What you are doing is so unbelievably important; the fact that any child has to sleep the hunger away proves how terribly far are world needs to heal.
    I'm crazy proud so I can only imagine how proud mom is to have birthed and raised such an unbelievable person.
    Love you terribly!!
    Can't wait for till your going away party!

    ReplyDelete