Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Murky Gray of Sexual Consent

Over the past few days I have been quietly following the conversations around Aziz Ansari and the gray areas of sexual consent. I feel compelled to share my thoughts, which echo many of the voices I have read, because this is a topic that constantly sits on my heart and is one I have never felt comfortable speaking about because so often the conversations I hear around consent and sexual assault are black and white. When it is black and white we can walk away feeling secure in our own actions and behaviors. We are not “those people.” We can tell ourselves I would never be a victim because of x,y, and z, or I would never be a predator because of x,y, and z. This leaves no room to talk about the uncomfortable gray areas that have probably affected all of us, even if it is something we do not want to admit. It does not allow us the space to be messy humans that make messy mistakes. I want to be clear that I am writing this from the perspective of a white, cisgender, heteronormative female.

 I have felt frustrated at the criticisms against “Grace.” It is not always as easy as just saying no. I know this from experience. Many times women feel uncomfortable saying no because of the threat of escalated violence. That is always a real possibility. But sometimes the reasons we don’t say no are grayer than that, messier than that. So much of this gray, murky area is symptoms of our toxic culture of masculinity, that even male allies don’t realize they perpetuate. I don’t directly blame anyone for this - but is something we have to wrestle with and allow ourselves to realize we just might be wrong in some of our long held beliefs.

 I have had more “gray” sexual encounters than I, the staunch feminist, care to admit. Even though, for most of my life, I have surrounded myself with strong females, I have still been susceptible to the influence of toxic masculinity. I am a messy and imperfect person who can only try to be a little better every day. Society has told me that I need to patient and generous. I need to be nice. Compliant. Pleasing. I genuinely want to be some of those traits, and others I would like to shed. I fully recognize the fact that I am able to say “no” at any point, but I’ve also been told to be all these other things that don’t allow me to always say “no.” I often joke with my co-workers that “no” is my favorite word. This is far from the truth. I rarely say no to anyone. I strive to please people, to care for people, to make those around me happy. I’m independent, self-confident, and strong-willed but I deeply care about the feelings of those around me. Part of that is my personality, part of that is being subtly, and not so subtly told, as a female, I should be a certain type of person.

Sex is messy. People have different expectations. It means different things for different people at different times. But we are still expected to respect the rules of sexual etiquette. There have been times I have found myself in situations where the expectation of sex was implied from the beginning. Whether that is going to a male’s home later at night, or scheduling a “hang” after intense flirting. Many times I have clearly said no even if the expectation for sex was clear. Sometimes I did not. Sometimes my body language said no and it was ignored. I don’t blame the men in those situations, I don’t think they are dangerous predators, I don’t even think they are bad guys. But I do think they are victims of our toxic culture of masculinity. They either did not recognize by reluctance, or they chose to ignore it. I genuinely think most of them did not recognize my reluctance because they have been taught a sense of entitlement when it comes to sex. I understood the expectation. I would leave or say no if I wanted. They can’t begin to understand that as a female I am told be contradictory things at the same time. Sex is not just any other social interaction. You can’t simply tell people to avoid dangerous or potentially uncomfortable situations. Sometimes it is not as simple and just saying “no” and leaving. It is intimate and personal. There is a greater capacity for harm. I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect that all parties engage with a greater sense of conscientiousness and empathy for others. Sexual consent is not black and white. It is gray and uncomfortable and messy. And it is something we have to talk about without victim blaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment